MOULD IN THE POST OFFICE BUILDING IS STILL AFFECTING STAFF
MOULD continues to permeate government offices in the Post Office building, causing illnesses among staff just months after more than $40,000 was spent on fixing the problem.
Several of the 150 staff members at the Attorney General's office have complained of skin irritations, respiratory problems and infections of the eyes, nose, and throat exacerbated by the mould, confirmed Permanent Secretary Archie Nairn.
Although the problem was attacked with costly remedial measures during the summer, the fungus continues to spread throughout the six-storey building courtesy of a malfunctioning air-conditioning system.
Leaks, dampness and extremes in temperature created by the AC has fostered fertile conditions for the mould to flourish on the walls, floors and ceilings of the offices and library, where it threatens to further infest legal reference books, files, furniture and special equipment.